motî is a free multi-lingual iOS dictionary app optimised for language learning, but it’s also for anyone who has an interest in words or just loves dictionaries.
It takes its data from the English Wiktionary project, the project’s aim is to and describe all words of all languages in English. In one single application, multiple languages can be installed, currently there are 16 languages, but with over 4000 languages in the Wiktionary project there is ample opportunity to include others.
Etymologies help to make connections between new and already familiar words in any language installed, and example sentences show how words or phrases are used within a wider context.
To facilitate faster language learning the user’s word-search history is saved, searchable and can be exported to other tools such as Anki for review.
Current feature set
- 16 languages to install for offline use: català, Deutsch, English, español, Esperanto, français, Nederlands, italiano, 한국어, lingua latīna, limba română, magyar, português, русский, svenska, suomi
- Definitions in English
- Example sentences, usage notes, related words and etymologies
- Fast search in both directions with approximate matching
- Pronunciation information and playback
- Export dictionary entries to Anki flashcards
- Add your own text or photo notes to entries
I love learning new languages, and often travel to immerse myself in them, a great way to learn. You just need a dictionary and some way to document everything you “pick up” this way: overheard phrases, clippings of a newspaper article, a sign found somewhere in the street.
As a mobile developer I was of course looking for an app to support my language learning. And after trying out a few different options I just wasn’t able to find what I wanted.
Around this time I rediscovered the English Wiktionary project. It was spun off as a collaborative dictionary from Wikipedia and now contains over six million pages, more than there are in the English Wikipedia.
I became an active contributor and decided to build an application which would make at least a part of this rich data available on a mobile device.